Monday, July 27, 2009

FiReFLiEs :B


"Before you met me i was a fairy princess
I caught frogs and called them prince And made myself a queen
Before you knew me i traveled 'round the world
I slept in castles and fell in love Because i was taught to dream
I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top
To capture tinkerbell
They were just fireflies to the untrained eye
But i could always tell

I believe in fairytales and dreamers dreams like bed sheet sails
And i believe in peter pan and miracles And anything i can to get by
And fireflies"
-Faith Hill






Well! I made it! :)I am currently in Bellefontaine, Ohio.
I made it through an incredibly hard semester packed with 20 credits and weekly long clinical hours. It was one of the most difficult and rewarding times in my life so far. I've learned so much.
But through that learning and endurance I felt I had started to lose much of who I was. I've always been a dreamer, but lately I've become more of a realist. The medical world changes people. I missed things like compassion and appreciation coming easy. I've learned so much and changed for the better, but I missed cultivating much of who I am and want to be.
So, I needed a bit of a break. :) The opportunity came to come out east for the summer break with my roomate Bethany and I am so glad I have. I miss home and the people there, but it has been a great break. :)

We endured a 29 hour car-ride across the wild west. :) I never thought so much land could look so identical!!!! Since arriving here I've attended a catholic wedding, LDS branch, learned that Buck-eyes are the best desert EVER! Better than Reeses Luna ;), chilled with the Amish (buggy crossing signs right across the street!;), gotten a Henna tatoo, Ridden horses (my favorite! They're right outside my window :) visited Michigan, milked a goat, and caught fireflies. :)

I've learned so much in so little a time. I've jumped off the 90 mile an hour conveyer belt of life and am soaking in the world around me. I love the church history here. You can feel it in the air. I love reading my scriptures, looking out my window to the wheat fields below, knowing Zion's camp marched through this very town, and so many key pieces of gospel and scripture were restored here. The Sacred Grove is so tangible. I love that everyone is welcome and loving, no matter religion, race, or way of life. I've learned to embrace those around me (quite literally, they are quite big on hugging here :) And I've loved every minute of it.

I'm grateful for this opportunity to re-catch a few of the fireflies in my life. :)

4 comments:

  1. Lindsay! You're in Ohio! I'm jealous! Fireflies...oh I miss them. Catching fireflies is THE quintessential summer activity. When you go to Kirtland, let me know. My parents live 20 minutes away and my dad does tours of the area and the Amish country over there. It can be a free place to crash (or at least a free dinner) if you need it. They have plenty of space for you and your roommate and they’d love to have you. And Buckeyes are way better than Reese’s...I have the recipe somewhere. You've inspired me to make them! When I do I'll take some to your family so they can try them too. Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will be re-sthrengthed. enjoy! and have fun! alber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindz! You're so grown up!! I can't believe you're living in Ohio! That is so great! I hope you're loving every minute :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you left your second parents and didn't even tell us. It sounds like you are have the time of your life. Enjoy, have fun and be safe! God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete